The following rules apply to all contestants. All rules must be read and adhered to in order to participate in the Costume Contest. The Costume Contest organizers have the final say in all aspects of the contest.
- Contestants must be between 13-18 years of age.
- The contest is rated PG (see costume guidelines below). Contest organizers have the final say as to the appropriateness of any costumes.
- Costume source material must be official and anime, manga, Japanese video game, or Japanese culture-based. (No original characters or fan art source material will be allowed.)
- This is a costume contest. You are encouraged to personify your character with a short catch phrase or signature move but a full skit is not allowed.
- All contestants and entrants must be respectful of all contest organizers, library staff, and fellow participants. Inappropriate behavior will NOT be tolerated.
Registration and Check-In:
- The contest will take place on Friday, August 8, at 4:15 p.m. All registered contestants must be available for pre-contest check-in at 4 p.m. or forfeit their contest slot.
- Contestants can register anytime from noon onwards at the Registration Table where they will be asked to sign a costume contest agreement form and receive their entry armband.
- Naked is not a costume; any illusion to nudity is strictly prohibited. If we can see through your clothes to your body parts, you will be disqualified.
- All contestants must have at least 60% of both sides of their upper body covered. Dramatically plunging necklines (for females) and bare chests (for males) are not allowed.
- All contestants must wear, at minimum, shorts or a skirt that completely covers the behind.
- Shoes, boots, or slippers are required (socks are not considered foot coverings). If your character does not wear shoes, this will be taken into consideration in the judging.
- All contestants must be able to move their costume on their own. Accessories and/or large costumes components are acceptable if you can move them without assistance.
- All prop weapons must be approved and checked in at the Registration Table. No real guns, even those that are no longer functioning. Realistic looking toy or model guns will be allowed only as long as they are clearly marked with orange on the barrel.
- Sharp-edged weapons are strictly prohibited. Large foam props are allowed as long as they are not being used inappropriately.
- For safety reasons, the following are NOT allowed: live animals, substances which might damage or soil the library, aerosol sprays, projectiles of any kind, and pyrotechnics of any kind.
- The Costume Contest will begin promptly at 4:15 p.m. We will start lining up at 4 p.m.
- You will have 45 seconds to complete your catwalk presentation. This will give you time to walk to the end, strike a pose, and walk back.
- Swearing, sexual humor, flashing, or any other inappropriate behavior is NOT allowed and will cause you to be disqualified.
- No confetti or glitter will be allowed to be thrown, scattered, etc. while walking. No running, jumping or acrobatics.
- Contestants may NOT throw or whip props around, may NOT take or use any sort of spray paint, silly string, water, or any other items during contest.
There will be seven prizes awarded, first and second place for each three categories and a Best of Show. The three categories are: Most original/creative, most unique/obscure, most humorous.